Fine, I’ll admit. This avocado chicken salad looks like a truck ran it over, I’m not blind. But once you try it, you’ll understand the true meaning of “beauty’s on the inside”. This healthy chicken salad is keto, paleo and incredibly tasty. It’s the perfect combination of textures and tastes. We’ve got salty from the olives, the sweet from the bell peppers, the umami from the chicken and the eggs, (that’s right I know about umami too, even though it’s a well-hidden secret), then some fat from the fat avocado, the sour from the lemon and the bitter, well the olives are just the right amount of bitter too.
I made this salad while I was doing the keto diet and all I did back then was wrap it in a leaf of lettuce and call it a chicken salad lettuce wrap. I would have this for lunch and sometimes for dinner, whenever I want something light and salad-like.
There’s no mayo or sour cream in this recipe, which makes this avocado salad light and fresh, but also ultra satisfying. If you’re not doing keto or paleo you can also serve it on a whole grain toast or on one of those rice cake things.
All you really need to do here is mash the avocado, chop all the vegetables, boil, peel and chop an egg and add some chicken. I used rotisserie chicken, to be exact the meat of the chicken thighs. Depending on how much you actually eat, this recipe is great for lunch or even as a filling savory snack.
I hope you enjoy this salad, let me know how it went if you try it.
- 1 1/2 large avocados
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4-5 olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped bell pepper
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- handful spinach, chopped
- handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled chopped
- In a bowl mash the avocado and mix it with the lemon juice and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine. (I used leftover rotisserie chicken here). Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish, as a snack or for lunch wrapped in lettuce (paleo & keto) or on toasted bread (not paleo or keto).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 12gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
You Might Also Like: