Make this quick and simple black bean veggie quesadilla recipe for dinner tonight! The filling for this vegan quesadilla is flavorful, healthy and simply irresistible with some avocado or guacamole. So wonder no more what to make for dinner tonight, if you’ve got some tortillas and beans, you’ll be on your way to a delicious meal in no time!
It’s late in the afternoon and the clock is ticking, but you still haven’t decided what to cook for your loved ones tonight. You are thinking of something quick and easy, but filling and healthy at the same time. Sounds like you? Then this recipe for black bean quesadillas may be just what you are looking for!
It is vegan, rich-in-protein, and super simple to make for dinner. So, have a peek into your pantry and fridge. If you can find a can of black beans, some veggies, spices, and tortillas, then you have all it takes to prepare this quesadilla with black beans and vegetables for dinner this evening.
Why You’ll Love This Black Bean Veggie Quesadilla
There are many reasons I personally love making quesadillas like this one for dinner. Here are just a few I think might convince you as well:
- firstly, it is really easy and quick to make
- it’s pretty healthy because it is made with only natural nutrient-dense ingredients
- it’s pretty affordable and I have most ingredients often at home
- last, but not least, this veggie quesadilla is super delicious and filling.
Now that we’re all hyped up, let’s get started with the recipe!
Black Bean Veggie Quesadilla Ingredients
To make these simple vegan quesadillas with black beans and vegetables, you’ll need these healthy ingredients.
Black Beans. You will need canned, drained, and rinsed black beans. What makes this type of beans such nutritionally powerful food is the high content of fiber, protein, carbohydrates and antioxidants. Black beans also have some amazing health benefits, including their ability to lower high blood pressure and help with weight loss.
Veggies. As its name suggests, the black bean veggie quesadilla recipe calls for some veggies as well. You will need chopped carrot, onion, bell pepper, as well as a tomato. These veggies will add a lot of flavor and color to your dish. Moreover, they will boost your vitamin intake for the day.
Spices. Although veggies will give a wonderful flavor, you can intensify it by adding some spices to your easy vegan quesadilla. Minced garlic, cumin, dry oregano, fresh basil, and crushed red pepper will all mix in the filling in such a fragrant way that no one could resist.
Avocado. You will need avocado or guacamole to top the quesadilla filling. It will add some healthy fats as well as vitamins to the dish.
Tortillas. Depending on your preferences and the diet you are following you can choose tortillas accordingly – gluten-free, whole grain or even keto are all available these days. Furthermore, you can make your dinner more colorful by using beetroot or spinach tortillas.
How to Make Black Bean Veggie Quesadillas
Now that you have all the ingredients needed to make this vegan quesadilla recipe, let’s get started and impress everyone at the dinner table tonight.
Firstly prep the ingredients. Start by chopping the onions and carrot, and mince the garlic. Then, open a can of black beans, rinse thoroughly and drain.
Next, make the filling! So, saute the chopped onion with olive oil and add in the cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in the chopped tomato, bell pepper, and carrot and stir again for as long as 1-2 minutes. While stirring, start mashing the tomatoes with the spatula.
At this point, add in the black beans, the tomato paste, and a little bit of water. Mix well and then cover the pan with a lid for about 3-4 minutes or until all the ingredients are combined. Finally, add in the minced garlic cloves and mash the beans roughly (as well as you can). Now the vegan quesadilla filling is ready. Mash well to make sure it is on the thicker side! Once the filling is ready, remove the pan from the stove.
Assemble the black bean quesadillas! Spread the bean filling over half of a tortilla, top it with avocado or guacamole, and then add a few fresh basil leaves.
Toast! What you need to do next is fold the tortilla in half and toast it in a pan on both sides until golden brown. Make sure you flip carefully so that the filling stays inside of the tortilla.
Lastly, slice the tortilla and serve it with a small fresh salad of choice. Enjoy!
How to Store the Vegan Quesadilla Filling
If you cooked more of the black bean quesadilla filling or just want to make the recipe for the week ahead, you can definitely meal prep it. Cook the filling and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. When it’s time to make the veggie quesadilla, just spread the filling on a tortilla, fold and toast as described above and enjoy!
There are many ways to make this vegan quesadilla with black beans your own. Here are just a few suggestions to customize the quesadilla filling:
- add some baby kale, spinach, or arugula for more flavor as well as some green freshness
- put some jalapenos or hot paprika if are a fan of spicy food
- add sliced pitted olives and more of your favorite green herbs for even more flavor
How to Serve the Black Bean Veggie Quesadilla
I recommend having the quesadillas with some fresh herbs, arugula or with your favorite dip or sauce! I usually enjoy mine with a fresh vegetable salad like this one!
More Easy Vegan Recipes
I hope you enjoy this flavorful veggie black bean quesadilla recipe for dinner or whenever you decide to enjoy it. For even more easy and healthy vegan recipes, make sure to check these out:
For the black bean filling:
- 1 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 thinly chopped carrot
- 1/2 onion, thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small tomato, thinly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 mashed avocado or guacamole
- fresh basil
- 2 tortillas
- Chop the onions, carrot, tomato, bell pepper and mince the garlic. Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Sautee onion with olive oil, and add in the cumin, oregano and crushed red pepper. Stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in the chopped tomato, bell pepper and carrot and stir again for 1-2 minutes. While stirring, start mashing the tomatoes with the spatula. Stir in the black beans and add in the tomato paste and a little bit of water. Cover the pan with a lid for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic cloves and mash the beans roughly (as well as you can). The filling is now ready - it should be on the thicker side!
- Spread the bean filling over half of a tortilla, and top that half with avocado or guacamole, some fresh basil and if desired and available - spinach or arugula.
- Fold the tortilla in half and toast in a pan on both sides until golden brown, flipping it carefully so that the filling stays inside.
- Slice and serve with a small salad!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1011mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 21gSugar: 5gProtein: 18g