If you’re looking for an easy healthy dinner idea that others will love as well: try this Mediterranean chicken lettuce wraps recipe! These chicken wraps are tasty, light and flavorful, delicious and healthy dinner recipe that you’ll love, if you love the Mediterranean diet!
See this? It’s chicken lettuce wraps. And they’re delicious. They’re not your regular chicken lettuce wraps…because we’re going Mediterranean here. We’ll be filling these with chicken, hummus, fresh avocado, cucumber and tomato salad, grilled zucchini, and some garlic sauce. These wraps are the most satisfying healthy chicken recipe you could make for dinner. Or lunch. Whenever you decide to have these chicken wraps – you’ll love them. This simple recipe comes with an easy meal prep option, it’s gluten-free and you can easily make it low-carb by simply not adding the hummus.
If you’re like me and love wraps, but are kinda trying to cut down on carbs, without going this crazy – you’ll be obsessed with these. They’re full of flavor, fresh and so much garlic and herbs and spices. Plus they don’t take a million years to make. Although it did take a little over 30 minutes to make all the separate ingredients. But if you multitask – you might be able to get it done pretty quickly. We’re using fresh, one-ingredient foods to make some true magic here.
I served the chicken as a lettuce wrap, but you can definitely also turn this into a bowl. Let’s face it, the lettuce didn’t bring a ton of excitement into my life. But it did what it was supposed to do – wrap these.
Chicken Lettuce Wrap Ingredients
Chicken. We’re using boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this, but you can also use chicken breast.
Herbs and Spices. Garlic, rosemary, mint or basil, crushed red pepper all make an appearance in this recipe.
Salad vegetables. You need a crunchy cucumber, juicy tomatoes, avocado and some olives to make this refreshing salad.
Lettuce. To wrap it all. I used Romaine lettuce, but any type would work.
Hummus. Make your own hummus using lemon, garlic, chickpeas and tahini or buy some that’s already made. You can also try this low-carb version with zucchini on my sister’s blog.
Garlic sauce. If you want a dairy-free version make a cashew sauce like this one, or if you don’t mind yogurt – mix 1/2 cup yogurt with minced garlic and some salt and you’re set.
How To Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- cook the chicken with olive oil, herbs and spices in a non-stick pain
- while that’s cooking, make the hummus, chop the vegetables for the salad, slice the zucchini in circles
- make the cashew sauce or a simple sauce with plain yogurt, garlic and some salt
- cook zucchini with olive oil until done on one side, then flip
- once zucchini and chicken are done – time to arrange everything
- wash lettuce leaves, pat them dry and fill with hummus, chicken, zucchini, salad and cashew sauce.
- Enjoy immediately
Meal Prep Option
To meal prep these wraps I’d recommend doubling the recipe for the chicken, as I ate it all in 2 days (lunch, dinner & lunch again!).
You can make each part for these wraps ahead, except for the salad.
If you do want to prep the salad as well – chop the cucumber, add some olives and use whole cherry tomatoes and don’t add the dressing.
Low-Carb / Paleo Option
To make these wraps low carb, don’t add hummus – the recipe will be delicious without it as well. If you do have some extra time you can make a low-carb zucchini hummus, like this one.
To make this recipe paleo, change the hummus as suggested for the low-carb option and don’t add feta cheese to the salad.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe (Mediterranean-Style, Meal Prep Option)
Healthy chicken lettuce wraps, Mediterranean style! These chicken wraps are a high-protein meal, filled with hummus, zucchini, a tasty and fresh cucumber avocado salad and garlic sauce. This is a healthy chicken dinner idea that is full of flavor, delicious and gluten-free! This chicken recipe comes with an easy meal prep option and also a low carb / keto option!
- 10oz (300g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp mint, dry
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 onion, thinly chopped
- 1 cups chickpeas, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/3 tsp chili powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- Wash the lettuce leaves and let them dry.
- Cut the chicken in bite-sized pieces and add it to a non-stick pan with some olive oil. Cook at medium-high and add mint, crushed red pepper, rosemary, coriander and garlic. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring from time to time to get it done and golden-brown.
- Cut the zucchini length-wise or in circles and cook it in a non-stick pan with some olive oil. Turn after 3-4 minutes until zucchini and cook until done. (slicing length-wise would make cooking easier) Alternatively, you can also grill the zucchini.
- For the salad toss cucumber, avocado, onion and tomato with a little bit of olive oil and salt.
- Make the hummus and the garlic sauce - simply blend the ingredients for each using a highspeed or immersion blender.
- Arrange the lettuce wraps: Add a tbsp hummus, some chicken, some salad, zucchini and top with the garlic sauce. Enjoy immediately!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did, they really make me excited to eat healthier and I’m so looking forward to making them all the time this summer.
This recipe was originally published May 20th 2019 and updated with new images March 11th 2021.
You Might Also Like:
20-Minute Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.