This chicken salad sandwich melt is tasty, comforting and very easy to make. Ready in 10 minutes, this quick sandwich recipe is perfect for when you have no time to cook or eat, but are hungry.
Update: This recipe was originally published on January 28th, 2019 and updated with new pictures and tips on April 16th, 2020.
Chicken Salad Sandwich Melts In 10 Minutes
I tried to sneak in some vegetables in here (yes, there are 2 tbsp arugula), but even without them, this sandwich is so good. If I had more leftover chicken I would be making this for the rest of the week.
I didn’t use mayonnaise, because I really don’t like it. Instead, I used, again, sour cream. And I love it! However, if you’re not a fan of sour cream – cream cheese would also do the work.
Added some olives and basil, (first one it’s optional) because they’re a huge part of my life, assembled it all together and toasted that thing in my waffle maker.
Speaking of, I should really start using that waffle maker to actually make waffles. I’ve only been using it for sandwiches. And I don’t regret a thing.
You can also use a panini maker or make this in a non-stick pan on the stove (I did this when I updated the pictures). Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it!
Chicken Salad Sandwich Melt Recipe
This chicken salad sandwich melt is so tasty and easy to make. I used my waffle maker to toast it, but you can also use a panini maker or toast the sandwich in a non-stick pan on the stove.
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, chopped*
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp arugula chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- 4-5 slices of bread
- In a small bowl, mix the chicken with the sour cream (or cream cheese), basil, arugula, scallion, garlic, black pepper, olives and mozzarella. Add salt to taste.
- Spread the salad on 2 slices of your favorite bread, add a slice of tomato (optional) on one of the slices and press both slices together.
- To toast: use a waffle maker, a sandwich maker or a panini toaster. You can also toast this sandwich on the stove in a non-stick pan with some olive oil, flip the bread when ready on one side. I used my waffle maker and it took me around 5 minutes.
- Once done, slice in 1/2, that's how you get 2 chicken sandwich salad melts! Wait for the sandwich to cool off a little bit, so you don't burn yourself (but don't wait too long) and enjoy!
You can use any type of leftover chicken here.
Note that the images for this recipe have been updated recently and I didn't use any tomato or olives (didn't have any at home). I also toasted the sandwich on a non-stick skillet and not a waffle maker. The recipe is delicious either way.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 976mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.