My nails are about to start melting from the heat outside, so I thought I’d try something practiced in many parts of the world. And that something is drinking tea or eating soup when it’s hot outside. Apparently, it can cool you down, I will not attempt to explain it, you can read about this phenomenon here. What I will do here is share an extremely delicious coconut curry shrimp soup recipe that I absolutely love. This easy soup is an amazingly tasty healthy dinner, that is gluten-free, paleo, low-carb and keto.
I did have it many times when I was doing the keto diet and it’s one of my favorite things.
You’ll Need Fancy Things To Make This Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup
Curry. Okay, not that fancy, but if you don’t make curry a lot – you’ll need to get some red curry paste.
Coconut milk. Also not fancy, but you probably don’t have it at all times.
Lime leaves. Or lemongrass – please if you can find one of these, add it to the soup. They really do magic in coconut curry-dishes.
Shrimp. No veins and no shells, please.
Cilantro and Zucchini, because vegetables.
How To Make Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup
This soup cooks really fast, so it’s important to have all ingredients ready before you start cooking. This way you can throw everything in – bam, bam, bam, time to eat.
Base. The first thing you want to make is the “broth”. For this you’ll need to use science and dissolve the red curry paste in coconut milk under the force of heat. You should get a creamy, sweet and spicy base.
Shrimp. Then comes the shrimp and lime leaves. Put them in there for 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp becomes pretty in pink.
Vegetables. Add in the zucchini, cook for one minute and turn the heat off. Fish out the lime leaves, using a spoon, fork, anything but your fingers.
Finale. Top with cilantro and enjoy immediately on a hot summer day, or if you’re not crazy – after a cold autumn or winter day.
- Add broccoli or cauliflower. If zucchini is annoying to you and has no taste – you can add any type of vegetable you like in here. Broccoli or cauliflower would be my next choices.
- Make it non-low-carb. You can make this soup more filling by serving with some rice or cooking with some noodles.
- 2 cups/ 400ml coconut milk
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 6oz/170g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 lime leaves or lemon grass
- 1 1/2 tsp red curry paste
- handful cilantro, chopped
- Add the coconut milk and the curry paste to a small cooking pot and cook at medium-high heat, stirring until you get a smooth and even broth (could take 3-4 minutes). Another option here would be whisking the ingredients instead of stirring - this can speed up the process.
- Once the curry and the coconut milk are combined, add the shrimp and the lime leaves or lemongrass. Cook for a few minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
- Stir in the zucchini and turn the heat off.
- Take out the lime leaves if using and serve topped with fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 623mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 17g
I hope this soup makes you as happy as it makes me!