This easy potato carrot soup is amazing. Incredibly simple, yet super comforting, healthy, filling and delicious. You need six ingredients and under 30 minutes to make this luscious kid-friendly potato soup recipe for a tasty vegetarian lunch or dinner.
Modern Food Inspiration
My son loves the show “Ben and Holly”. And honestly, being forced to watch most of his favorite shows about superhero dogs and ladybugs, it’s the one children’s show I actually love as well. It’s actually funny and is just magical.
In one of the episodes, Nanny Plum – a fairy and the best cook in the world, has to make modern food for a special dinner party with snobby boring guests. And in case you have been living under a rock, modern food is:
- delicate and special
- not porridge
- very very tiny servings.
So, after a bit of wondering, the elf Ben and fairy Holly find a magical book with the recipe for modern food: potatoes, peas, carrots, onion and cheese. Nanny makes these into a soup and serves only the steam to the guests. They love it, but then sit with the children and eat the actual soup and discover it tastes better.
Well, this episode inspired us to make modern food, the same recipe and it’s so good. My husband and my son actually love it (both very annoying when it comes to food – I don’t eat this I don’t like that). It’s the one thing besides bread my kid eats without any discussions, being the picky eater he is. We did not eat the steam, we ate the actual potato soup. And OMG it is so simple, wonderful, smooth, the definition of comfort food, but also healthier.
The Changes We Made
We did make some changes since we didn’t have peas this time, but feel free to add about 1/2-1 cup of frozen peas to the soup too.
Another thing we changed is we added olive oil and sometimes it’s butter – for an even more buttery flavor.
The last change we did is we blend the soup in the last stage. SO so good. Can’t recommend enough.
Why You’ll Love This Potato Carrot Soup
- easy to make
- made with simple ingredients
- perfect comfort food
- buttery and smooth
- light and delicious
Also, if you ever have tummy ache, this potato soup is the perfect meal to make to soothe you.
Potato Carrot Soup Ingredients
Here are the ingrediens you need to make this smooth potato carrot soup:
- a small onion
- cheese – it’s actually optional, but if using we go for Parmesan or shredded mozzarella
- water and salt or vegetable stock
- olive oil or butter
Yes, all super simple foods, but make the best potato soup ever.
How To Make Potato Carrot Soup
Peel and chop the potatoes, onion and carrots.
Add them to a pot, cover with water, add a few pinches of salt (or use vegetable stock) and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Have a taste and add more salt if needed.
Add in the olive oil or butter and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Take off heat and blend until smooth.
Serve with some shredded cheese of choice and croutones if desired.
Here are some changes and additions you could try:
- add peas – as mentioned in the original modern food recipe. All you need to do is add them when you add the potatoes and carrots
- use leeks instead of onion
- add in some pumpkin or butternut squash when in season
- my son also loves the soup served with some boiled and chopped up hot dogs
I hope you enjoy our potato carrot soup as much as we do!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 cups water / to cover
- 4 tbsp cheese of choice
- Peel and chop onion, potatoes and carrots.
- Add vegetables, a few pinches of salt and water to cover to a pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low/medium until carrots and potatoes are tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add in the butter or olive oil, and add salt to taste if needed. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Blend the soup until creamy, no chunks should be left.
- Serve with shredded cheese and croutons if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g