Whip up a batch of these easy healthy shortbread cookies, they’re vegan, gluten free and pretty addictive! This is a healthier cookie recipe that you can make ahead for the week and have one or two every day!
Healthy Vegan Shortbread Cookies
I am seriously obsessed with these cookies. I must’ve made at least 3 batches during the last three weeks and it’s never enough. And even my toddler likes them. Like he rarely likes anything that is not pasta with white sauce or full of sugar.
The base for these vegan cookies is made with gluten free oats, almond flour, coconut oil and maple syrup, then topped off with some almond butter, maple syrup and dark chocolate…All these simple ingredients work together to make the best, most delicious easy shortbread cookies ever!
How To Make Healthy Vegan Shortbread Cookies
There are many options and ways to make these suit your own diet and dietary restrictions, but the original cookie recipe is gluten free, vegan and dairy-free. No refined sugar either. Here’s what’s inside.
These are the 5 foods you’ll need to make the gluten free shortbread base:
- blanched almond flour
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
Then there’s the two-layer topping. One layer is almond butter topping and the one on top is the chocolate topping. There are 4 ingredients involved here:
- almond butter
- dark chocolate
- maple syrup
- pinch of salt
You will start by preheating your oven to 350 F or 380 C.
While that’s going on, it’s time to mix the ingredients for the base of the cookies. Put all the ingredients either into a bowl or a blender and blend them together.
Shape the cookies with your clean and wet hands and place on a baking sheet that’s either greased well or lined with parchment paper.
Put the cookies in the oven and bake them for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
While you’re baking the cookies, prepare the mixtures for the two layer topping. For the almond butter topping mix the almond butter with maple syrup and a pinch of salt, then melt chocolate in the microwave for about 30 seconds and mix it with a tsp of almond butter.
Once the cookies have cooled off top each one with some almond butter topping and then the chocolate topping.
Refrigerate them for 30-60 minutes and transfert to an airtight container!
If you don’t have one of the ingredients or can’t have one of them it’s an easy fix, here are some options you can try:
Use only almond flour in the base if you can’t have oats.
If you can’t have almonds or nuts, you can use only oats in the base and try a seed butter like tahini or sunflower butter for the topping.
Now, if you don’t have coconut oil and don’t need your cookies to be vegan – you can use butter instead. Same goes for maple syrup, either try a different syrup or honey!
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
I hope you enjoy and share these almond flour oatmeal shortbread cookies with your loved ones!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
Almond Butter Topping
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chocolate
- 1 tsp almond butter
- Preheat your oven to 180 C/ 350 F.
- Blend the ingredients for the shortbread cookies using an immersion / hand blender or in a regular blender. Another option would be to mix with a fork using ground oats or oat flour instead of regular or quick oats.
- Shape the cookies with your clean and wet hands, and place on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or greased well.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cookies are baking it's time to make the topping. For the chocolate topping melt some dark chocolate chunks in the microwave for about 30 seconds and mix with almond butter.
- For the almond butter topping mix almond butter with the maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
- Take the cookies out, let them cool off, and then top each cookie first with the almond topping, then with the chocolate topping.
- Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes then enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, preferably refrigerated or in a cool place.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 39mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g