These healthy tofu spring rolls are filled with cabbage, carrots, tofu and wrapped in rice paper wrappers and they make such a delicious healthier vegan dinner idea! And if you’re looking for ways to use up some tofu and cabbage, you need to make this mouthwatering tofu recipe! I know, words I never thought I’d say.
But, serve with some of your favorite spicy sauces and you’ll be more than happy you’ve made these. Also, give some to your family to enjoy as well, they deserve a bite too!
Fine, I didn’t give any to my 4-year old, because, well, he doesn’t like anything that mommy makes right now. If it’s not pasta, give it to the cat. Or the seagulls. I’m not having it. Or grandpa’s dog. Or grandpa. Kidding none of them would eat it either, but you already know that.
I mean, that fat and bald guy’s lasagna from 4 days ago is so much better, right? Right? I’m not crying, I’m writing a freaking recipe while my kid has been surviving on bread and strawberries for 3 weeks now.
But I swear, these spring rolls, they’re good, mkay?
And I’m good. In fact, you know how good I am? I will go and make myself some more spring rolls after I finish this recipe. I might even throw in something more in there. Like cilantro, or cauliflower or something else, my son doesn’t want to eat. Because you know what? I can’t eat bread anyway and I’ve already had strawberries this morning. And they don’t go well with cabbage.
On a more positive note, my sister, my dad and even my mom loved these spring rolls. My husband tried them on face time too and loved them as well. Mmmm virtual reality, it’s almost like real life. Well, it really sucks.
So, I can’t send you any of these in the freaking ***averse (don’t even want to say it), but they’re really good. I’ve been making a version for about a year now and every time they’re just delicious. A bit different than your regular deep-fried spring rolls, but healthier and sooooo good! To get a taste, you just need to make them, mkay? Now, let’s get into it, what’s inside and what do you do to achieve this beautiful result?
Healthy Tofu Spring Rolls Ingredients
I’m going to make it real quick and just list out the ingredients, make sure you have them, although some are optional. I don’t mean garlic.
- firm tofu
- tamari sauce
- hot paprika
- olive oil or coconut oil
- spinach (optional)
- rice paper
How To Make Healthy Tofu Spring Rolls
We start by chopping everything in sight. The cabbage, the carrots, the tofu. As tiny as you can. You might even want to grate the cabbage and carrots. Also the ginger, the scallions thinly, the garlic minced or using a garlic press. That’s the best press.
Next, add the tofu to a large nonstick pan with a bit of oil and hot paprika and let it saute for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in the cabbage, carrots, spinach (if using) ginger and some of the garlic. Drizzle the tamari sauce and stir to combine together.
Now cover the pan with a lid and let this cook for about 2-3 minutes, then stir occasionally for 3-4 more minutes while adding the rest of the garlic, some more tamari if needed and the scallions.
Let this cool off and start making the rice papers wet. Just dunk the rice paper into a plate or a baking sheet filled with water for about 10 seconds. When the wrapper gets softer, transfer to another clean plate and place about 2 generous spoons of the cabbage and tofu mixture in the middle of the rice paper. Wrap from folding on each side and seal. Repeat until you run out of the cabbage and tofu.
Then transfer to a nonstick pan greased with oil, sealed side down and cook at medium until crispy and golden brown on each side. I usually flip at least twice on each side.
Make sure to not fill the pan too much, because the wraps can stick to each other and make it difficult to flip.
What To Serve With
I always serve with whatever spicy sauce we have at home. Not a slave to specific brands. Sriracha, that chili oil with peanuts in it, sweet chili – whatever you like, whatever you have. If you’re motivated you can make some spicy peanut or almond butter sauce too. I wasn’t as motivated.
I hope you enjoy this tasty tofu spring rolls recipe as much as I do, let me know how it went!
More Tasty Healthy Tofu Recipes:
- 3 cups cabbage, chopped thinly
- 2 carrots, cut thinly in strips (or roughly grated)
- 8oz/ 200g tofu, chopped thinly
- 1 tsp hot paprika or chili powder
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly chopped
- 1 cup spinach (optional), chopped
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- Add tofu to a large nonstick pan and sauté on both sides for about 3 minutes with some olive oil and hot paprika. Add in the cabbage, carrots, spinach, 1 minced clove of garlic, ginger and tamari sauce. Cover for for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the minced garlic, scallions stir occasionally for another 3-4 minutes. Let the mixture cool off a bit, before adding it to the rice paper.
- Hold the rice paper in a deep plate filled with water for about 10 seconds, until the rice paper softens. Place it on a flat large plate and place about 2-3 tbsp of the cabbage and tofu in the middle. Then wrap the rice paper like you would a burrito folding from each side.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add a bit of oil for frying, then add the spring rolls with the side that needs to be sealed first. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, then flip and do it again until golden brown. I had to flip twice on each side.
- Repeat until you run out of cabbage and tofu mixture and serve immediately with a spicy sauce of choice like sriracha or spicy sweet.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g