You only need one pot and 30 minutes to make this comforting healthy lentil curry soup! Made with coconut milk, rice and peas, this comforting vegan soup is filling and super delicious!
The best things in life happen when you don’t expect them to. And as cheesy as it sounds – this soup is one of them. I came home exhausted and freezing, craving something warm ASAP. My intuition told me: “ORDER LASAGNA. Right now. You’re starving.”
I don’t know if it’s intuition or the fat person that lives inside me. But! And I’m so proud of myself for this: I decided to cook something since I’m still trying to lose weight after having my baby.
I wanted to make something warming, fresh and creamy, without having to spend more than 30 minutes cooking. AND without having to clean 30 trays and pots after that. And voila. This lentil curry soup was born.
Ingredients For The Lentil Curry Soup
- Lentils. You can use red lentils or green/ brown lentils. The red ones will cook quicker.
- Red curry paste: I used a red curry paste to make things quicker and easier, it makes the dish spicy and very fragrant.
- Coconut milk / Coconut cream: made this soup so creamy, sweeter in a beautiful way and overall more balanced.
- Peas and rice: to make this soup even more filling. You can maybe use quinoa instead of rice and green beans instead of peas here as well.
- Lime leaves or lemongrass: You can probably also skip this if you don’t have these ingredients, but they add a fresh and very unique flavor to this soup and to curries in general.
All these together make a creamy, spicy and delicious lentil soup. I might even say, it’s the best lentil soup I’ve had in a while. It’s vegan, gluten-free and I’m super excited to share the recipe.
Lentil Curry Soup Recipe
This is a fresh and fragrant lentil curry soup with coconut milk, rice, peas and spinach! Super comforting, spicy and creamy homemade vegan dish that everyone will love. You only need a cooking pot and 30 minutes - great for lunch or quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 cups water / stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 Tbsp basmati rice
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes/powder
- 5 lime leaves
- salt to taste
- Wash and drain rice and lentils. In a small pot cook onion with 1 tbsp olive oil until fragrant (1 min) at medium-high heat. Stir in the curry paste, coconut cream (top part of a coconut milk can) and chili flakes. Add the rice and lentils, then add water to cover (you can also use stock instead of water - then you don't need to add salt later, altogether I added around 4 cups of water). Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Add the lime leaves, peas and spinach. Cook until rice and lentils are done (this should take approximately 10 minutes) and make sure there's enough water/stock.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 614mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 12g
You Might Also Like:
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.