Make this high-protein chickpea and chicken soup this week for dinner and enjoy leftovers at lunch! It’s a filling easy and healthy homemade soup recipe that your kids will love too!
We’re on a little soup binge over here and today I want to share one of the delicious soup recipes we made over the past few weeks. It’s a protein-packed homemade chicken soup recipe with chickpeas, vegetables and noodles. This kid-approved soup will warm your body and your heart…you’ll get it once you have a bowl.
Healthy Chicken And Chickpea Soup Ingredients
Chicken. I did not have time to cook bone-in chicken thighs or chicken wings, so I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs and this was perfect for the soup. Highly recommend the chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breasts in the recipe.
Canned Chickpeas. The chickpeas add some more texture, protein and fiber to this homemade chicken soup to make it even more filling and satisfying.
Water and seasonings. You can also use broth or stock if you’d like. I am used to making my soups from scratch, so I always use water, some herbs, sometimes spices, salt and pepper – it allows me to add whatever I want to the soup. In this chicken and chickpea soup, I added some dried mint, salt, later pepper and water. You can play around with some spices like turmeric or cumin, I did love the simplicity of this one. Also, if you do have some fresh herbs like mint, basil or parsley – they will make the soup even better. Throw them in during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
Vegetables. The usual suspects when it comes to soups make it into this one too: carrots, potatoes and onion. I also grated some red bell pepper and added that in, love it, don’t skip it! You can add any other types of vegetables you want in here!
Noodles. Noodles are optional for you and me, not for my picky eater though. He loves slurping his noodles. If you’re gluten-free, you can use some rice or gluten-free noodles of choice.
How To Make High-Protein Chickpea and Chicken Soup
As is the case for most other soups, this protein-rich chickpea and chicken soup is pretty easy to make! Here’s how to prepare it:
- Add the chicken to a cooking pot and pour in some water to cover. Boil for about 5 minutes, then discard the water. Add water to cover again, a good pinch of salt, bring to a boil and let the chicken cook for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare your vegetables and make sure to wash everything before you start. We’ll be using lots of shredded vegetables and a food processor with a grating option would be a huge help. If not, use a grater to grate the bell pepper – grate on the side without peel and the peel should separate, you can discard it. Peel and grate the carrot and potatoes, peel and thinly chop the onion.
- After about 10-15 minutes of cooking the chicken, add the onion, mint, shredded potato and the rinsed and drained chickpeas to the pot. The boneless chicken thighs should be mostly done in 15 minutes, so “fish them out” with a fork and shred them. If you don’t know how to shred chicken, you can watch a little demonstration here. After shredding, add the chicken back to the cooking pot and add the rest of the ingredients – carrots, bell pepper and noodles. Add more water and salt if needed.
- Let the soup cook for 10-15 more minutes and add fresh herbs in the end if you want and have some.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
How Much Protein Is In This Chicken Soup
Thanks to the addition of chickpeas, this easy chicken soup recipe has 26g of protein per serving of 284 calories.
Why You’ll Love This Soup
- simple and tasty
- really easy to make
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
I hope you enjoy this delicious high-protein homemade chicken soup with chickpeas, noodles and vegetables! Let me know if you have any questions or feedback, I’d love to know!
- Delicious Homemade Chicken Soup
- 20-Minute Healthy White Bean Soup
- Easy Ground Turkey and Mushroom Soup
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs - about 3 cups shredded
- 1 ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1 onion, thinly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, shredded
- 2 carrots shredded
- 2 small potatoes, shredded
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- ¼ cup noodles
- Boil the chicken in water for 5 min, then discard water. Pour in water to cover, add salt, mint, chickpeas, potatoes and thinly chopped onion. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- While the chicken is boiling you have time to wash, peel and prepare the rest of the vegetables. Use a food processor or a grater to shred the bell pepper and carrot.
- After about 15-20 minutes of cooking, take the chicken out (I just used a fork as a “fishing rod” here), shred it and put it back into the soup.
- Add more salt and water if you feel the soup needs it, then add in the carrot, bell pepper and noodles if using. Cook for 10-15 more minutes and turn the heat off.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 755mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g