You need this spicy black bean burger recipe! If you’re in a cooking rut and want something new and exciting for dinner, these vegan black bean burgers will make your life a bit more interesting. They’re spicy, simple, healthy and super delicious.
Spicy Vegan Black Bean Burger Recipe
Have you ever had a black bean burger before? The ones I had pre-2020 when I used to actually eat out, were always a big fat disappointment. No spice, no texture, tasted pretty much like socks that’ve been worn for 2 very hot days in a row.
Not this one. You know what they say: “If you want something done well, do it yourself”. Not sure anyone actually ever says that, but it’s been my narcissist motto for a while. 3 entire days.
So these vegan black bean burgers are something I made after I discovered some dusty cans of black beans in my pantry. After a long and painful discussion inside my mind, I decided to turn them into burgers. I gathered all the spices I had in my kitchen, put them into a bowl and made these. And I don’t regret it at all.
Ingredients For Vegan Black Bean Burgers
There are quite a few ingredients in these black bean burgers, but they’re all pretty easy to find. Maybe even in your fridge or pantry, just go and look. Here’s the list:
- black beans
- hot paprika
- crushed red pepper
- black pepper
- flax meal
- some greens (I had some kale and some leftover herbs, so I used that)
- sesame seeds
- olive oil
Now, as you can see I used mushrooms, which is very non-typical for me, because I kinda hate them, but they really do well in this recipe. However, if you’re not a fan of mushrooms you can probably hurt their feelings and omit them.
How To Make Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Well, it’s pretty easy, here’s the to do list:
- Sauté the mushrooms
- Put all black bean burger ingredients in a bowl
- Mash with a fork, mixture should stick together, but still be chunky
- Form patties
- Fry the burgers with some olive oil or another oil of choice on both sides until nicely browned
- Assemble your burger with the ingredients you want. I used jalapeno, tomato, tomato paste (because I don’t eat ketchup or other sauces), mustard (because I like mustard) and some onions.
I hope you enjoy this easy black bean burger recipe, here are the full instructions:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp hot paprika
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 mushrooms, chopped
- ½ onion, grated
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tbsp greens
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- tomato paste
- Sauté the mushrooms with some salt and olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Prepare all ingredients that will go into the burger patties - grate the onion, rinse and drain the canned black beans, peel and mince the garlic, chop the greens (I had some leftover kale, basil and parsley).
- Add all ingredients for the burger patties to a bowl, add salt and start mashing it all together using a fork. You want a mixture that sticks together, but is still quite chunky.
- Form patties and fry them in a nonstick pan with some olive oil on both sides until nicely brown.
- Assemble your burgers with the ingredients you like (I toasted the buns, used tomato paste, because I hate ketchup, some onions, some mustard, some jalapeno and a tomato - it was delicious!).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 743mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 12gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g