Okay, new decade, let’s make you our best one yet! These are 15 things that I know improve my life so much and I want to share them with you. Some of them are pretty routine for me, others I want to start doing more regularly and I need to remind myself why more often at the beginning. I hope this list can inspire you too, so you can really design a life that makes you feel happy and fulfilled.
15 Things To Do For A Better Life
1. Spend more time outside. Even if it’s freezing out there, don’t let too much time pass by without spending a few minutes outside. It’s refreshing and it just feels good. Plus, believe it or not, indoor air is bad, even if nobody farted in the room.
2. Plan fun activities every week. Don’t sit on the couch every night and on the weekends. Going away for 2 days can be so rejuvenating, and so can be going out for an hour after work. Even when you don’t really feel like it will make that day more memorable than if you just sit at home and watch Friends. Which is also awesome, but not every day. So make plans, get tickets, and make yourself get out there at least once a week.
3. Set quarterly goals and make them bold. I know we’re all excited to set goals for the year, but what’s even better is quarterly goals. What do you want to have achieved during the first 3 months of the year? When you have that shorter deadline you really focus on working on your goals right now instead of pushing them to the next month and then the next one until the year is over and you just give up. Do this every quarter, it’s pretty impressive what we can achieve in just 3 months when we get focused.
4. Create a healthy morning routine and stick with it as long as it makes you happy. If it doesn’t anymore – change it.
5. Take more pictures with family and friends. Aren’t those the best pictures? And you know what that’s gonna make you do? More interesting things…Document fun trips, adventures or dinners together.
6. Discipline Will Set You Free. Be more disciplined around the big things you want to accomplish and about the little everyday things. About the things that make you happy, but require some effort. Around the things that make you feel fulfilled.
7. Save some money every month. I’m not saying money is everything, but money can buy you some fun things. Like airplane tickets and pay for your hotel when you want to visit a new city or a new country. So think about an amount that you can save and whenever money comes in, put it away first thing then pay all the bills. When you set that goal, you’ll be surprised how much money you’ll have saved in a year.
8. Keep in touch with family and friends who don’t live close by. Go visit them, call them, write in WhatsApp. Keep in touch and reconnect. We don’t live forever and somehow we’re spread out all over the world. That makes it much harder to keep in touch with the people we love, but we have tools now. It just takes getting over yourself and doing it.
9. Decide quickly. No more wasting time overthinking, going back and forth. Make a quality quick and firm decision and act. You usually know if something’s the right thing to do or not, so stop wondering about it.
10. Eat for your body, not to impress others or to restrict yourself. Eat because you want to have more energy and because you want to feel good. Make it a point to have your vegetables with every meal, because that’s where the real energy comes from.
11. Exercise for fun! Can you believe people are still trying to avoid exercise? I don’t get it. Everyone I know knows how good exercise makes them feel. How it improves their mental and physical health, not because they read about it, but because they’ve tried it. Because when you really want to you can make exercise fun. You can choose from so many sports and you have so many opportunities to move your body. Trust me, I’m not surrounded by fitness models. My husband is very far from it, but even he’s trying to do some yoga now and then.
12. Learn a new language. Never too late to learn a little bit of a new language. An extra language is never too much and never unnecessary. Just because people understand your language, doesn’t mean you get to be ignorant about theirs.
13. Get comfortable being on your own. There are so many benefits to being on your own. You can listen to your own thoughts, come up with great ideas and just relax doing whatever you want without trying to please anybody else. Especially for women, we’re so used to thinking what everyone else needs, not even requests from us. Being alone doesn’t make you lonely or sad. Give yourself that time and enjoy it.
14. Surround yourself with positive messages and people. Be intentional about how your environment affects you. Of course, you can’t control everything and everyone in life, but you can do something. You can do this by reading uplifting books, listening to motivational podcasts, commit to becoming a better person overall. Commit to learning something new every week and reflect on that at the end of the week. It will definitely make a change in your mindset. I’m so grateful that years ago I started this very habit, because it has completely shifted my mind about so many things.
15. Reflect and be grateful. This is something you can do on a weekly basis. Look back at your past week and make an effort to remember what good has happened. We always hear about gratitude and about how we should do it daily, but actually science has shown it’s best to do it weekly. When you do it once a week, gratitude makes you feel good and it makes your heart full.