Want to make dinner in 15 minutes? Then grab some canned tuna and tortillas and make this delicious easy tuna pizza for dinner tonight! High protein and low in calories, this tuna recipe is a fairly healthy option as well.
Seriously this is the best, easiest and most delicious recipe you can make using canned tuna, vegetables, cheese and few other ingredients you already have at home. Whether you have the pizza for dinner or lunch, or even breakfast – it doesn’t matter. You can even take it on a picnic.
So, if you’ve never thought of canned tuna on pizza, then it’s time you try it. Get out of your comfort zone and be courageous because this super easy recipe for tuna pizza will turn you into a fan!
About This Tuna Pizza
Tortilla tuna pizza. That’s what you make when you’ve got some tortillas, canned tuna, 15 minutes, and no motivation to cook in the evening. That’s at least my experience with this delicious meal.
After I made the salmon pizza using the leftover salmon we had in the fridge, I decided it’s time to expand my horizons.
Well, okay, I wasn’t new to eating pizza with tuna on it. I tried this combination for the first time in Germany a long time ago when I was a student. It was a frozen pizza, that was pretty cheap, but it seemed expensive at the time. And I loved it!
So it was a treat. And seriously, I wouldn’t often say good things about packaged food, but this one was an exception. It tasted great to a hungry student!
And from there my love for tuna pizza grew further. So much so, that I’d often order it at a restaurant if they have it. But when I’m home at 8 pm and want to make a quick meal for the family – this tortilla tuna pizza does the job just as well. And it’s naturally thin crust.
Easy Tuna Pizza With Simple Ingredients
So these are the main ingredients to make this easy tuna recipe:
Canned Tuna. I use canned tuna fairly often, so I always have some cans in the pantry. I usually buy tuna in brine, as I feel it’s healthier. Canned tuna is a good source of protein, omega-3’s, the vitamins B12 and D, as well as iron. Moreover, it’s pretty cheap and super versatile and can be used in healthy recipes for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Tortillas. That’s our shortcut to making thin-crust pizza, without mixing and rolling dough for hours. Grab a large tortilla that fits your diet – whether gluten-free, paleo or keto – most tortillas can be used in this recipe.
Vegetables. Whatever you have at home would be a good fit, but bell peppers, garlic, olives and onions would be first on my list. Some arugula to garnish once the pizza is baked would be lovely too!
Tomato paste and pesto. Or use your favorite tomato sauce. I usually always have tomato paste and pesto (my son loves pesto), so that’s what I used. But whatever you have would work.
Herbs and Spices. Oregano and crushed red pepper make this pizza flavorful and slightly spicy.
Shredded Cheese. I always get mozzarella, but any type of melty cheese will work for this easy pizza recipe.
How To Make Easy Tuna Pizza
Now that we’ve got all the ingredients, it’s time to put them together and magic this deliciously simple pizza with canned tuna into existence.
Start out by chopping the bell pepper, olives and onions into thin slices. Then mince the garlic.
Next, I like to add some flavor to the canned tuna. So drain it really well and mix it with some lemon juice, minced garlic, black pepper and oregano. Also, don’t forget to mix the sauce for the pizza – it’s just tomato sauce or paste and pesto. Combine these and if using tomato paste – add a few tablespoons of water.
At this point, start preheating the oven to 400F/200C.
Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the tortilla.
Then also spread the canned tuna.
Top with the onions, olives and bell peppers and cover everything generously with shredded cheese.
Bake the pizza for 5 minutes. Then slice it and enjoy it immediately!
How To Serve And Options
I like to serve the tortilla tuna pizza as is, or with some arugula and garlic oil on top. I mean, you cannot tell me that garlic oil is just for hair growth. It’s definitely for pizza too.
Now as for options and additions, there are just so many to choose from. Some of the first suggestions that come to mind are:
- Capers – if you’re into salty things
- Thinly chopped broccoli – if you want to make the pizza super healthy
- Pickled or fresh jalapenos – I love pickled jalapenos, so it’s definitely something I’d love to add next time to this pizza with tuna.
- Make it white sauce. If you want to make the pizza with white sauce, you simply need to mix the pesto with cream cheese or mascarpone and some water – it will create a good sauce to spread over the tortilla. Keep in mind that this version will be a bit more calorie-dense.
More Easy Recipes With Canned Tuna
I hope you enjoy this easy pizza whenever you try it, and if you’ve got more canned tuna to use up, make sure to try these simple recipes as well:
Make dinner tonight in 15 minutes using some canned tuna and tortillas and try this delicious easy tuna pizza! High protein and low in calories, this tuna recipe is a fairly healthy option as well.
For The Tuna
- 6oz/170g canned tuna, drained
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- black and crushed pepper
For the pizza
- 1/4 onion, in slices
- 1/4 of a bell pepper, in slices
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (or 2 tbsp tomato paste with water)
- 1 tsp pesto
- 2 tbsp chopped olives
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese
- 1 large tortilla / or if needed more
- Chop the bell pepper, olives and onions into thin slices. Then mince the garlic.
- Next, drain the canned tuna really well and mix it with lemon juice, minced garlic, black pepper and oregano.
- Mix the sauce for the pizza: tomato sauce or paste and pesto. Combine these and if using tomato paste – add a few tablespoons of water.
- Start preheating the oven to 400F/200C.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the tortilla.
- Then also spread the canned tuna.
- Top with the onions, olives and bell peppers and cover everything generously with shredded cheese.
- Bake the pizza for 5 minutes, take out, slice and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 908mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.